School sports are enjoyed by student athletes as well as parents across the country every day. Unfortunately, sports related injuries are quite common in both contact and non-contact sports.
While some sports are inherently more dangerous than others, negligence, faulty equipment, and other avoidable factors put all children at risk while enjoying extracurricular sports.
Children are especially vulnerable to injuries, and recovery can be more difficult because their bones and muscles are still growing. Parents can help protect their children by understanding the common causes of these injuries.
Sports Injury Statistics
- 3.5 million athletes ages 14 and younger are treated for sports injuries yearly
- Two million sports injuries are suffered by high school-aged athletes each year
- 62 percent of sports injuries happen during practices
- 33 percent of parents do not make their student athlete take proper safety precautions during a practice, treating practices and games differently
Causes of Sports Injuries
Great efforts have been made by schools and sports organizations to improve the safety of student athletes. Despite these efforts, sports injuries can happen. Factors such as coach negligence put children at a greater risk. Sports injuries are frequently caused by such factors as:
- Poor student training and instruction
- Coaches who haven’t received proper training
- Coach negligence
- Lack of supervising adults
- Contact with other athletes or athletic equipment
- Poorly maintained athletic equipment and playing surfaces
- Lack of or defective safety equipment
Types of School Sports Injuries
Injuries resulting from sports can be either chronic or acute. Common sports-related injuries suffered by student athletes include:
- Sprains, strains, and fractures
- Joint dislocations and other joint problems
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Compartment syndrome
Injuries can be worsened if students are not given enough time to heal. Student athletes are often allowed to play again too quickly. Always have your child cleared by a medical professional before allowing them to return to sports after suffering an injury.
If your children have suffered school sports injuries, the Ft Worth personal injury lawyers of Anderson Cummings are here to assist you.
Contact us today at (817) 920-9000 to discuss your case, free of charge, with our legal team.