A Fort Worth native and proud trial lawyer, John is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin and South Texas College of Law and is double-Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in Texas as well as the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Cummings is also licensed in New Mexico and in Oklahoma.
He has recovered millions in settlements and verdicts for his clients across Texas, including a record-setting punitive damages verdict in a trucking death case in McLennan County and one of the largest settlements for a single injured plaintiff in Johnson County history.
John’s awards and accolades include recognition by his peers with an AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubble, “Texas Super Lawyer” (2003 to present) and “Texas Top 100” Lawyers (2015) by Texas Monthly, and “Top Attorney” in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury by Fort Worth, Texas magazine (2003-present).
His hobbies and interests outside of practicing law include hunting, fishing, sailing, woodworking and spending time with his wife Kory, an optometrist, and his two beautiful daughters. He is also an avid instrument-rated private pilot, which enables him to quickly get to clients and courtrooms across Texas and the surrounding states.
Awards & Accolades
- AV Rated—Martindale-Hubbell
- “Texas Super Lawyer® by Thomson Reuters Service (2003-present)
- Super Lawyers® “Top 100” Texas (2015)
- Super Lawyers® “Top 100” Dallas / Fort Worth (2015)
- Top Personal Injury Lawyer® in Fort Worth, Texas magazine (2003-present)
- Forty Under Forty business leaders by the Fort Worth Business Press (2005)
Professional Memberships & Associations
- Board Certified – Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified – Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Texas Bar Association
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Tarrant County Bar Foundation
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member & Past Director
- Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association, Member & Past President
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America), Interstate Trucking Group
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court, Past Associate, Barrister & Treasurer
- Austin Graduate School of Theology (formerly known as the Bible Chair at the University of Texas at Austin), Trustee, 2009 – 2014
- Lead attorney in a wrongful death trucking case tried in McLennan County, Texas, that resulted in a record-setting punitive damages award and became one of the Top 100 verdicts in the nation that year as reported by Lawyers Publishing (2005).
- Represented victims in a construction wrongful death suit which was reported in influential trade publications as far away as Europe, helping to expose and stop a dangerous trend in the construction crane industry (2006).
- Represented a prison inmate who was electrocuted, resulting in one of the largest single personal injury settlements in Johnson County, Texas (2015).
- Texas State Courts
- Texas Federal District Courts
- United States 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
- New Mexico
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Texas at Austin, 1991
- Juris Doctorate, South Texas College of Law, 1995